Tuesday July 14, 2020

Jury still out on link between birth trauma and autism

The €7.25 million out-of-court settlement in the ‘test case’ of a 13-year-old autistic boy meant no legal determination was made on the issue

30th June, 2019
2

Last week, it was reported that the family of an autistic boy who sued over the circumstances of his birth at the National Maternity Hospital, had settled a High Court action for €7.25 million.

It was labelled a “test case”, and a “precedent”. It was an issue that hadn’t previously been determined by a court in Ireland, or further afield, according to the boy’s barrister. And it remains to be determined, because of the settlement...

Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!

Exclusive offers:

All Digital Access + eReader

Trial

€1

Unlimited Access for 1 Month

Then €19.99 a month after the offer period.

Get basic
*New subscribers only
You can cancel any time.

Annual

€200

€149 For the 1st Year

Unlimited Access for 1 Year

You can cancel any time.

Quarterly

€55

€42

90 Day Pass

You can cancel any time.

Team Pass

Get a Business Account for you and your team

Share this post

Related Stories

As a UK study shows that people in black, Asian and minority ethnic groups are at greater risk of dying from the virus, we owe it to our minority communities in Ireland to find out more about how they are being affected

Arman Rahman | 1 hour ago

While in opposition, the Minister for Health had criticised aspects of the proposal for a private outpatient clinic at the €1.7bn National Children’s Hospital

Peter O'Dwyer | 2 days ago

Mary Bartley-Meehan’s solicitor says she rejects the claim that was issued on behalf of former health minister Simon Harris, which said Hiqa had engaged with the family

Rosanna Cooney | 2 days ago