Department of Health told of huge hospital overrun months before disclosure
Officials said overrun figure on €1.7 billion project was not ‘final’
The revelation will raise uncomfortable questions around transparency for the department and Minister for Health Simon Harris.
In a statement, the department said that it had kept the minister informed of the escalating costs. It defended the delay in telling the public, saying “there was still work to be done and a process to be concluded to reach a final figure”.
John Pollock, the project director for the hospital, told the health committee...
Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!
With any subscription you will have access to
Unlimited multi-device access to our iPad, iPhone and Android Apps
Unlimited access to our eReader library
Exclusive daily insight and opinion seven days a week
Create alerts to never miss a subject that matters to you
Get access to exclusive offers for subscribers on gifts and experiences
Get content from Business Post, Business Post Magazines, Connected, Tatler and Food & Wine
Butler urges completion of eating disorder unit as ‘matter of priority’
The Business Post reported on Thursday that the new unit at Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin had been delayed until at least mid-2022
Specialist eating disorder unit delayed until at least mid-2022
A new unit at Mount Carmel Hospital in Dublin was due to open by the end of the year
Updated cost of new children’s hospital still ‘confidential’
Department of Health refuses to disclose costs associated with the project to Public Accounts Committee despite speculation that price could reach €2bn