What's your name?
What position do you hold?
I’m a partner in a commercial law firm, Philip Lee. I work in Construction and Projects, specialising in disputes.
What are your day-to-day responsibilities?
Day-to-day my responsibilities include advising state entities and private contractors on issues which arise in construction projects and representing clients in disputes (construction disputes, contractual disputes, procurements disputes).
What is your professional background?
Tell me about yourself away from work?
I am an avid traveller
You are speaking at the 2019 Construction Industry Federation conference. What are you speaking about?
I am looking forward to speaking at the 2019 CIF annual conference and our firm is very proud to once again be the main sponsor. At the conference I will discuss the delivery of Project Ireland 2040 and the issues which may challenge that delivery.
What challenges do you see for the construction sector?
The most pressing challenges that the construction sector faces include:
- new mega-projects which do not have template contracts (for example, the state is used to building roads so there is a set formula, tried and trusted, and these projects now come in on time and on budget, whereas for new mega-projects like the Children’s Hospital there is no template, so the “first” is always risky…)
- the current shortage of trades
- implementation of sustainable green policies
- procurement challenges - competing on price in tenders which do not always allocate sufficient marks for quality.
Where would you like to see the industry in 10 years’ time?
I’d like to see a few specific changes in the industry in 10 years’ time:
- the shortage in trades remedied and construction as a good attractive career
- a stable sector
- construction companies moving to the final phase of Project Ireland 2040 having smoothly implemented the significant additions to infrastructure (Dart extension, Bus connect, Metro-North Link) which Project 2040 envisages over the next 10 years
- sustainability and low carbon emissions to be the top of all construction agendas in the ideal world of 2029!
Clare will be speaking at the 2019 Construction Industry Federation conference on October 2nd in Croke Park Dublin.
for more details.