Why Vodafone boss had to cut dividend
The British mobile giant's finances are stretched to snapping point, so something had to give
It’s counter-intuitive: you cut the dividend, yet the shares rise. That’s exactly what happened to Vodafone on Tuesday morning; maybe it was short-term relief that an industry known for its generous pay-outs was finally getting a sense of reality, though the shares fell back later in the day.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.