Upping the Ante: Donohoe’s betting tax hike already causing job losses
Bookies are feeling the squeeze after the government doubles the duty on their income
‘Dear customer,” the A4-size notice sellotaped to the front window of Fox’s bookmakers in Navan began. “As the result of Paschal Donohoe increasing the betting duty bookmakers pay by 100 per cent in the 2019 Budget, it is not possible for this shop to remain open. It is physically and morally impossible for any business to pay more than it actually makes.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.