Tom Lyons on Business
Former Anglo banker John Bowe should be left to get on with his life
John Bowe, the former head of capital markets with Anglo Irish Bank, has finished his jail sentence. Bowe was given a two-year sentence in July 2016 for his role in a €7.2 billion conspiracy to defraud investors by bolstering Anglo’s balance sheet prior to its year end. Bowe unsuccessfully appealed his conviction earlier this year citing the alleged role or knowledge of the state authorities, among them the Financial Regulator. His early release is common for anyone who behaves well in prison and shows no sign of reoffending.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive