Tinker, tailor, soldier, taxman
The EU’s mooted equalisation levy would signal a return to the protectionist Europe of the past
If you’re looking for some background to the tax problems that were tackled at the meeting of EU finance ministers known as Ecofin last week, you could do a lot worse than reading a John le Carré novel. If you do, go for one of the earlier ones set in Europe of the 1960s and early 1970s. I’ve yet to find a writer as good as le Carré at capturing the closed-in protectionist spirit of the European continent at that time.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive