The Tax Take: Can tax be both fair and equal?
We have backed ourselves into a corner when it comes to changing the tax blend
There is a difference between an equal society and a fair society. All taxation puts someone somewhere at a disadvantage. Modern economies attempt to spread the disadvantages across different sectors of society with different styles of taxes – income tax on wage earners, value-added tax on consumers and so on, in the name of fairness.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive