The Tax Take
Protestors may not be as strident when it comes to higher general taxation to pay for water services
It seems to me that the news reports lately have had a somewhat retro feel to them. Bulletins featuring papal visits, teachers’ pay disputes and past taoisigh and presidents are more late 20th than early 21st century. At least back then we didn’t have this rolling discussion on water and who pays for it. That particular debate was marked, if not necessarily advanced, last week by the publication of the report of the Expert Commission on Water.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive