The case for the defence
Low-risk, low-yield stocks suit many investors. If you go for high-reward cyclical shares, do your homework beyond the numbers
We all have our own ideas as to what kinds of stocks can be described as defensive and what can’t. Some of us want some spice (or risk) in our portfolios in reasonable anticipation of better returns. Others are at that stage in their lives where defensiveness is generally the most popular route. I fall somewhere in between – inherently cautious, but prepared to take some risk to pep up the returns.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive