The Ansbacher dossier: Offshore accounts and tax fraud, writes Brian Keegan.
There are plenty of good reasons for wanting to open an offshore account. You might want to get a higher rate of investment return. Perhaps you want to invest in foreign currency. It could be as simple as needing to facilitate foreign customers, or provide funds to a son or daughter in university abroad. From a tax point of view, there is nothing wrong with holding an offshore account. Merely having an offshore account doesn’t make you a tax evader.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.