The Tax Take: EU must plug the €151bn Vat gap
Dealing with Vat in the digital age has seriously blunted the authorities’ ability to collect tax
It’s about 20 years since I took my first ever delivery of an online product. The product in question was a piece of software designed to convert one obsolete computer file format to another. We wanted to publish our content, already on the market in traditional book form, on a shiny new website. The Californian developer of the software was very keen that we would take delivery by way of file download rather than on a floppy disk. With our superfast modem, it would only take about two or three hours. That would save us post and packaging and save him, as he put it, a few sales tax dollars.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive