The Tax Take: The direct approach
American business has a directness of approach which many of us in Europe would do well to copy
Us president Trump imposes tariffs on steel and aluminium imports. The EU retaliates by applying tariffs on a range of all-American products – sweetcorn, cranberry juice, bourbon whiskey, cotton goods, motorbikes and (bizarrely) playing cards. If Mom’s apple pie had a separate customs classification, it would surely have been included. American business immediately responds. Last week, Harley-Davidson stated that it might have to ramp up its production levels outside the US to sidestep the imposition of the tariffs. Rapid change, direct response.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.