Stephen Kinsella on economics
The travails of Facebook and Trump have highlighted the fact that Ireland needs a new industrial model
Last week, the world gave us three big stories. First, the revelations about Facebook and the insecurity of your private data. Second, the new EU move towards a common digital tax regime which is clearly designed to remove the competitive advantage that small states like Ireland enjoy. These are two sides of the same coin: the struggle to cope with large, data-heavy multinationals at an EU level. And third, President Donald Trump is weakening the global order by imposing 25 per cent tariffs upon $60 billion worth of Chinese imports. China is preparing to retaliate in kind.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.