Smurfit’s silence eventually sees off a Paper tiger
US giant walks away from bid to take over Smurfit Kappa, after stalking it for two years. What happened?
And so, with the meekest of whimpers, ends what would have been the largest-ever takeover of an Irish company . . . and not in the way many expected it to go. Smurfit Kappa easily saw off its bigger rival International Paper after four months of pretty much staying silent and letting the process wind its way through to a conclusion last week that saw the US company pack its bags and walk away empty-handed.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.