A slow, boring grind to a changed Ireland in 2021
Get used to budgets without a big bang: they are part of a process that serves to benefit us all
Budget 2018 did exactly what it said it would do. It featured small tax changes, and small spending increases. Incremental changes to rules governing key sectors were the order of the day. Almost everyone got something. It was inevitable that something was pretty small. Disappointed journalists had no big bang policies to announce. The era of the big bang announcement is over. With it, the drama and column inches they used to generate. Everyone needs to get used to boring budgets. I’ll trade drama for proper fiscal policy making all day, every day.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.