Paradise Papers: The morality argument is futile
Research by Berkeley economist Gabriel Zucman shows more than 10 per cent of all global wealth is now held in tax havens
Two weeks ago, the country boiled over with outrage about the banks we saved screwing us. It feels like a year ago. In outrage-time, a week is like a month. The outrage machine is grinding its gears around the Paradise Paper revelations that - gasp - rich people don’t like paying taxes. The rich dislike taxes so much they go out of their way and invent entire new industries in new countries to pay less tax, then drive on roads paid for by those far poorer than them.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive