Raising some hackles is the price of being a hack
It’s no harm for a newbie columnist like me to have an occasional reminder of how easy it is to upset somebody
I’m not sure how this happened. I didn’t set out to write a weekly column. It wasn’t part of my “plan”. It started last summer as a request to put a few paragraphs together on media and marketing. But no one shouted stop. Last week, to my genuine amazement, I filed column number 23. As that 17th-century “columnist” John Milton might have put it, 23 seemed an auspicious number and a good time for a little reflection before “my hasting days fly on with full career”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.