Portrayals of gay men in top Oscar contenders might have provoked controversy in years gone by. That it has gone unremarked is itself remarkable
And so the Oscars have come and gone. The long winter of thespian self-congratulation is over. Each year it begins with the amuse bouche of the Baftas, followed by a too-big starter of the Golden Globes before the main course of Oscar night. Sunday in Los Angeles becomes RTÉ 2’s Monday night three-hour special. The stars of the screen shine without a plot or storyline, one big glittering extravaganza.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive