Budget 2017: The missteps, the empty promises and policy flunks
There was something for everyone in Budget 2017, but few really benefited
It was a budget that seemed to lack an overall strategy, with a little for everyone, but arguably nothing meaningful for anyone. A €5 weekly increase in the pension and other welfare payments, measures to help first-time buyers, a childcare package and a modest cut in the universal social charge were among the headline grabbers.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.