In a market crisis, opportunity knocks
Big stock market downturns blow off the froth, teach us all lessons, and throw up opportunities
The causes of stock market downturns have been many and varied. But the explosion in derivative markets can magnify them. Last week’s downturn was driven and multiplied by players in those markets whose handiwork can magnify the turbulence, despite no major changes in the fundamentals.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive