For so long the standard-setters, Manchester Utd now lag behind
Jose Mourinho’s appointment was the board failing to confront the real issue
A couple of years back, a story seeped out, causing more than a few chuckles around the Premier League. With days to go in the summer transfer window, Manchester United were desperate for signings so, with time running out, a technician with a Sky box was surprised to be sent to the home of a club executive with a key role in bringing in new faces. Though not as surprised as when he was greeted mid-morning by the person in their pyjamas. The football world was out finalising deals; this was their de facto control centre.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive