Learning from the blow of a third-place finish
We are a small nation - and big sport is getting bigger all the time
The talk afterwards was of this being a setback but not an insurmountable one. Nonetheless, the World Rugby evaluation which placed Ireland third of the three bidding nations to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023 is a blow to national pride and to the confidence which had been expressed throughout the bid process.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.