Searching for a silver lining
Diverting pension funds into expensive healthcare or housing could leave the cupboard bare in retirement
It has been suggested that first-time buyers should have access to their pension funds to help get them on the property ladder, and that this in turn might encourage more young people to start a pension from the moment they start working. The first part of this idea has been raised in government reports into pension reform. So too has the idea that such access could also fund other key life events, like third-level education and to pay for expensive healthcare expenses.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.