Owen O’Callaghan: A hometown hero dogged by controversy
O’Callaghan’s reputation was marred by his dealings with Bertie Ahern, but few people in Cork cared about that
Owen O’Callaghan, the property developer who died last weekend and who was buried on Wednesday, was one of the most important individuals in the economic life of Cork over the last 50 years – and the many generous and glowing tributes to him since his passing reflected that appropriately. Those eulogies were deserved, but they were also incomplete.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive