Finance Bill change is an attack on SMEs
Recent amendments to the CGT retirement relief for entrepreneurs deal a nasty blow to small business owners
Capital gains tax (CGT) retirement relief has long stood as the reward, in tax terms, for the small-to-medium entrepreneur. It allowed disposals of business where proceeds up to €0.75 million were exempt from CGT, and there was no limit on the value of businesses transferred to children. Basic requirements were that a person be over 55 years of age and under 66 years.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive