Ewan MacKenna: The fact Sebastian Coe did not know of the allegations about Russian runner Liliya Shobukhova raises questions about his leadership
We’ve reached the stage where the best defence of his position is to implicitly admit he’s not up to the job
In early August 2014, an email arrived in the inbox of Sebastian Coe with attachments detailing how certain International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) officials took in the region of €420,000 from Russian long-distance runner Liliya Shobukhova, in exchange for covering up her failed doping tests. The then vice-president of the athletics governing body, Coe was on holidays in Marrakesh at the time.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive