Emmet Ryan: 'FIFA's forgotten about the journey'
The expanded World Cup may open the competition up to new markets but it will dilute the merit of making it to the big show
It's time to do FIFA a favour. Let's assume the motives behind expanding to a 48 team World Cup are pure. Let's assume it has nothing to do with money or politics. Let's assume this isn't FIFA being FIFA. All of that is fine because even removing all of those factors, the proposal is an objectively terrible idea for football fans.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive