Colin Hunt will bring continuity and a wealth of government contacts to the top job at AIB
One well-known watcher of the Irish banking sector tweeted that it was a “top-drawer” appointment.
Shock and awe was the response of many last October when Bernard Byrne announced he was defecting from AIB to become the number two man at Davy Stockbrokers. There was no surprise on Friday evening when the bank, still 71 per cent owned by taxpayers, announced he would be replaced next year by Colin Hunt.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive