Brexit: a self-inflicted and unmitigated economic disaster
Sterling is in free-fall, Britain’s economy is heading for recession, house prices are set to fall...but they were warned
Markets don’t like surprises. Last December, few people were surprised when the Federal Reserve in the US raised interest rates as they had signalled they were going to do so for several weeks. They didn’t want to risk a major market reaction when they did rise, and there wasn’t one.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.