Newsround: what Tuesday's papers say

Plan to shut 80 rural post offices and Trump signs order introducing revised travel ban

7th March, 2017
Wednesday's papers

The top stories in Tuesday's newspapers:

THE IRISH TIMES

- The government is considering expanding the scope of the inquiry into mother and baby homes to include a far greater number of institutions than initially planned as Taoiseach Enda Kenny yesterday described what has been discovered in Tuam as "appalling, truly appalling".

- A deal on the future of water charges may be close as Fine Gael has agreed to examine existing legislation to penalise householders who waster water. The 20-member committee on water charges will meet today as members remain at odds over the introduction of a charge for excessive use of water.

- US president Donald Trump signed a revised executive order temporarily banning immigration from Muslim-majority countries yesterday as the White House pursued its hardline stance on immigration.

- Simon Harris is expected to support Housing Minister Simon Coveney in the Fine Gael leadership contest after the Minister for Health said he would not be a candidate. Meanwhile, Tánaiste Francis Fitzgerald gave a strong indication that she will contest the election to succeed Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

FINANCIAL TIMES

- Peugeot chief executive Carlos Tavares has promised to step up the company's presence in the UK in the event of a 'hard Brexit', delivering a potential boost to the UK car industry, following the car maker's £2.2 billion deal to buy Opel-Vauxhall from General Motors.

- Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams said the Brexit vote had played a large part in causing the surge in the nationalist share of the vote in last week's snap election which saw unionist parties lose their majority at Stormont for the first time.

- North Korea fired four ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan yesterday in a demonstration of the advances in its weapons programme despite international efforts to contain it.

- In its Companies & Markets section, the paper reports that four large shareholders in Standard Life and Aberdeen Asset Management have expressed concern at their plans to tie up, questioning the combined company's plan to have the two chief executives share power.

IRISH INDEPENDENT

- Rural towns and villages are set for a massive blow as large-scale closures of post offices and bank branches are on the cards, the paper reports on its front page. It says a report for the government on the future of post offices has recommended the closure of 80 branches, mainly in rural areas.

- Pressure is mounting on the ASTI to ensure that about 35,000 third-year pupils complete a crucial assessment in English next month after exam chiefs made it more difficult for the union not to co-operate with it.

- In its business section, the paper reports that Aradgh has fired the formal starting gun on a stock market listing of up to $373 million in New York after the global packaging giant said it began its initial public offering (IPO).

- Pre-tax profits at the firm behind the entertainment phenomenon Riverdance more than doubled to €1.9 million in 2015 while John McColgan and Moya Doherty, the creative forces behind the show, enjoyed a sharp pay hike.

IRISH EXAMINER

- The government will today launch a year-long investigation into the 'Grace' foster abuse scandal which will focus on cover-up claims, threats against whistleblowers and the action of still-employed senior officials central to the case.

- The paper also reports on its front page that the names of almost 800 children who died in two of the country's largest mother and baby homes were given to the HSE by a religious order in 2011, showing the state was aware of the vast number of deaths in Bessborough in Cork and Sean Ross Abbey in Roscrea three years before the Tuam babies scandal made headlines.

- Finance Minister Michael Noonan will brief ministers on the state's sale of shares in AIB when he brings a memo to Cabinet this morning outlining plans to sell up to 25 per cent of the bank, possibly as early as May or June.

- The paper also reports that US president Donald Trump has dropped Iraq from his revised travel ban, which is narrower than the original order that sparked protests around the country. It specifies that a 90-day ban on people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen does not apply to those who already have valid visas.

Share this post

Related Stories

Emer McLysaght: What if Greg Davies was your boyfriend?

Columnists Emer McLysaght 14 hours ago

The Profile: Alexei Navalny, Russian opposition leader

Off Message: Putting the con in conspiracy

Columnists Andrea Cleary 14 hours ago

John Gibbons: Climate science has long been the victim of ‘fake news’ obscuring uncomfortable truths