Education minister comes under fire for scrapping the Junior Cert oral Irish exam
The new arrangements mark a significant shift away from the policy of recent years of promoting spoken Irish through the marking scheme
Minister for Education Richard Bruton has been accused of putting off students from speaking Irish by scrapping the Junior Cert oral exam.
Current Junior Cert students have the choice of doing the oral Irish exam, which accounts for 40 per cent of the marks, with the written exam accounting for the remaining 60 per cent.
But the new Junior Cycle syllabus for Gaeilge allocates 90 per cent of the marks to a written exam and the remaining...
Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!
With any subscription you will have access to
Unlimited multi-device access to our iPad, iPhone and Android Apps
Unlimited access to our eReader library
Exclusive daily insight and opinion seven days a week
Create alerts to never miss a subject that matters to you
Get access to exclusive offers for subscribers on gifts and experiences
Get content from Business Post, Business Post Magazines, Connected, Tatler and Food & Wine
Michael Brennan: Zappone’s departure will limit the fallout, but the past week has damaged the coalition
Had the former minister not resigned from her appointment as the government’s UN special envoy, her gathering in the Merrion Hotel could have turned into Hotelgate, a year on from Golfgate
Comment: Hospitality sector is failing its workers, it’s time to give them a voice
Research shows that employees in the industry do not always get the minimum legal protections available to them and often suffer ill treatment. Reform is needed and the best place to start is by listening to the workers
Comment: The ‘Biden doctrine’ has more in common with Trump’s policies than Obama’s
The US President has come out of the gate with a neo-populist economic agenda closer to Trump’s than to that of the previous administration in which he served
Willie O’Reilly: In the ‘sewer’ of Twitter, ignorance is no defence
Leo Varadkar’s recent comments about the social media site belied the fact that life is starting to get harder for online trolls